- Exam Requirements: 35-question General written exam (Element 3).
- License Privileges: All VHF/UHF Amateur bands and most HF privileges (10 through 160 meters).
The General Class license is the second of three US Amateur Radio licenses. To upgrade to General Class, you must already hold a Technician Class license (or have recently passed the Technician license exam). Upgrading to a General license-which conveys extensive HF privileges—only requires passing a written examination. Once you do, the entire range of operating modes and the majority of the amateur spectrum below 30 MHz become available to you. The FCC grants exam Element 3 credit to individuals that previously held certain older types of licenses. Find valid forms of Examination Element Credit.
ARRL General Class License Manual
All You Need To Pass Your General Class Exam!
- Pass the 35-question General Class test.
- All the Exam Questions with Answer Key, for use through June 30, 2019.
- NEW! Use with ARRL's online Exam Review for Ham Radio.
- Detailed explanations for all questions, including